Saturday, March 14, 2015

Say "Cheese"...When in Italy!

Italy is known for many wonderful things, among which are art, music, architecture, ancient history, wine and food! Tops on the food list, with over 300 varieties is - CHEESE! Yup. Over 300 varieties. I strongly suggest you not walk into an Italian cheese shop hungry or you'll want them all.



Whether it's a grocery store...


Outdoor market...


Indoor Market...


or at the farm,
deciding on which to purchase is a challenge in itself.



On a past trip to Sicily, my Italian relatives took us to a small ricotta cheese farm. Watching the cheese making process was fascinating. 


We even met the cows who were to be involved in their own part of the process.



And the ricotta - was absolutely AMAZING! Delicious and unlike any we'd ever tasted before.
Of course, enjoying it with my Italian family made it even more special.


One thing I've never understood is how my 100% Italian father didn't like cheese or wine. Really! He wouldn't touch either one.  Strange! As an Italian, shouldn't the love of cheese and wine be a part of one's  genes? Thank goodness I didn't inherit that from him! When it come to Italian cheeses and wine I say, "Bring it on!"

Ciao!
- Nina Spitzer

If you are receiving this post by email and would like to read other archived posts on my blog, 
go to



No comments:

Post a Comment